Saturday, September 10, 2016

dual booting Windows 10 professional with Linux. Is this doable?

I've tried somewhat dual booting Windows 10 professional with Linux, and wish to share my experiences. In a nutshell my experience is, it shouldn't be done if you already have Windows 10 professional installed on your machine and you wish to retain it after the dual boot installation. Here's what I found: 1) First of all, do this if you really need a dual boot. Don't do specially for fun-learning, or if your computer is doing an important work. 2) Please remember before attempting a dual boot, that Windows 10 professional is a great OS. Just for the sake of using Linux (for example, if you don't understand or cannot perform a specific function on Windows 10). Please make every attempt to repair or know the needed function of Windows 10, or ask Microsoft for support. 3) I ended up wasting approximately 22 GB of my hard disk space (although it should be recoverable with a good hard-disk partition manager. they're able to merge different kinds of partitions), in an attempt to make a dual boot as said. 4) If you want to use Linux, my suggestion is please use a workstation or a server that only has Linux. i.e when needing or wishing to enjoy Linux, don't do dual boot with Windows. For home users, Windows is usually the best choice. 5) When using Linux, it's usually hard to decide (if you're not very technical minded) which Linux variant you'd require best (for e.g Ubuntu, RedHat etc). I was searching for a free Linux version. I tried Ubuntu, but failed to grasp the dual-boot fundamentals with it to some extent. I also wanted to try Fedora (since I trust RedHat very much), but didn't had the guts to proceed (i.e risking my Windows installation). Please do these things very carefully, and if required please take the help of professionals who have done this work before. 09/17/2016 : I was able to recover my 22GB of unpartitioned hard-disk space (that I allocated to install Linux), and merged that into my Windows C:\ drive, using a tool called Minitool Partition Wizard. I'm happy for the time being.

No comments: